The Skyhawks use a tailored recruit training program to advance new cadets to be Airmen in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program. The Basic Cadet Training course will teach the importance of teamwork, leadership, and self reliance through a variety of classroom and practical exercises. Some hallmarks of the program include:
- Cadets and parents receive a great introduction to the CAP program and what to expect.
- New members learn together, lean on each other, and lead together as a class.
- New members have a chance to interact with and bond with current members.
- Cadets get involved with exciting, hands-on activities
- Basic Cadet Training ends with a graduation ceremony where they become official Cadet Airmen, and also become fellow Skyhawks.
All classes are conducted under the supervision of adult Civil Air Patrol Senior Members. Cadet instructors provide the primary training in the classroom and during hands-on training.
What to expect:
- An open house where you can meet current cadets, see what we do, and have some fun at our squadron.
- Parents will attend a meeting where program details are discussed, and questions can be asked.
- New cadet members will attend 8 training meetings on Thursday from 6:30-9:00pm.
- New cadet members will also participate in a hands-on training conducted on a Saturday in both indoor and outdoor environments.
- In their final weeks, new cadet members will take a test, recite the cadet oath, and perform a drill exam so they can promote to Cadet Airmen.
- Once promoted to Cadet Airmen, they will get a voucher from Civil Air Patrol National headquarters for $100 to purchase their dress blues uniform, similar to that used by the U.S. Air Force.
- More importantly, they will be welcomed into the squadron as fellow Cadet Airmen and Skyhawks in the Civil Air Patrol.
How do you join?
You must attend at least three meetings prior to applying (and prior to the training which starts Sept. 29). A senior member will supply you with an application after your second meeting. Cost is $55 for the first year (for this you will receive all learning materials, a basic cadet t-shirt, and a $100 voucher after graduation for uniform purchase). Membership renewal every year after the first year will be $40.